Can’t find your keys. Your postman’s name is in the language. Here are some surprising tricks selected from Time that will help you remember things and keep your mind sharp as you age.
1. Listen to Mozart. A Finnish study found that listening to classical music increased the activity of genes involved in memory.
2. Smell the rosemary oil. According to research presented by the British Association of Psychologists, people who do it are better able to remember what they have to do.
3. Take a laugh-pause. A 2014 study found that after watching a fun video, cortisol levels in older people dropped and they performed better on memory tests. No matter the age, “anything that reduces stress will improve memory,” says Dr. Fotuhi of the Memosyn Institute of Neurology.
4. Learn a language. According to a study, English-speaking people who studied Chinese for six weeks improved their memory.
5. Take a deep breath . Studies show that meditation helps the growth of the hippocampus.
6. Turn off the TV. A 2005 study found that the risk of Alzheimer’s increased 1.3 times with each added hour of television.
7. Go to the gym. According to research from Boston University, people who do not go to the gym at the age of 40 have less brain volume two decades later.
8. Indulge in art. For middle-aged and elderly people who indulge in various creative activities are 73% less likely to develop memory problems, a study by the Mayo Clinic found.
9. Put sleep first. A 2015 study found that people who enjoy a good night’s sleep in middle age have a better memory in their golden years.